Monday 5 July 2010

Day return

A quick trip down to London today to record Guyana born poet John Agard. He wrote poems and lyrics for a new puppet show called The Chalk Giants for which I'm making music. John has a wonderfully sonorous voice and it is hoped that we can use his readings of some of the words in the show.

I took the train to Liverpool Street and the tube to Embankment. Crossing the river I came across a steel pan player busking against the London skyline which seemed like a good omen. I met John by the Poetry Library at the Royal Festival Hall. The library is closed on Mondays but we were able to gain entrance in order to make use of the peace and quiet for the recording. He read three pieces he had written with a mythical flavour and inspired by tales of giants, giant-killings and ancient sites like the Cerne Abbas giant.

It's easy to forget in these situations that I'm supposed to be working; It's tempting just to immerse myself in the wonderful sound. All too quickly it was over and we went our separate ways, me to catch my train home and John to give a reading at the Purcell Room as part of the London Literature Festival.

1 comment: